Hello and welcome to The Spark & The Art creativity podcast where on alternating weeks we interview creative people from different areas and career levels of creative work and the next week is insight and inspiration on the subject of creativity and what it takes to get your projects from the beginning spark to the final art.
This week is an interview with Emilie Wapnick, author, musician, leader of the online creative group puttytribe, holder of a law degree and most recently added to the list TEDx speaker.
Does the phrase 'Follow Your Passion' give you some anxiety because you don’t know what your one single passion is? Emilie did and she decided that rather than stressing over the fact that she had many interests and couldn’t choose just one to focus on that she would embrace her varied skills and interests. This lead to the term multipotentialite and her online group of likeminded folks at Puttylike.com.
In today’s chat we talk about her musical endeavours where she and a partner spend one month each year writing and recording an album, how she’s growing her ‘puttytribe’, how her law degree made her a better blogger and author. We also talk about why it was important for her to create, as she puts it, ’a terrible first draft’ of her current book project. We also get into how she prepared for her TED talk.
As always links to all things discussed in the episode can be found at TheSparkAndTheArt.com/58 so you can follow along with today’s talk with Emilie Wapnick.
Do you know someone who can seem to decide on their one true passion? Perhaps they don’t have one. Share this episode with them and maybe they’ll get the inspiration to find a path for themselves that includes all of their gifts. The easiest way is to send them the url TheSparkAndTheArt.com/58
Did anything in today’s episode make you go “A-Ha"? I’d love to hear what it was, I’m easily found on Twitter @sh_tucker.
Also remember to stick around after the doo doo doo doo doo for Tip Of The Hat's song Red Armadillo In The Rain.
Thanks for listening and remember you won’t get the art without the work and you won’t do the work without the spark.
Links for this episode
- Puttylike - http://puttylike.com/
- Metallica - Fuel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvF9PAxe5Ng
- Cowboy Junkies - Sweet Jane - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHRFZFmEq9o Misguided Angel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP_llect3fI
- Joe Harley - http://www.TheSparkAndTheArt.com/8
- Renaissance Business book - http://puttylike.com/renaissance-business/
- TEDx talk “Why Some of us Don't Have One True Calling” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJORi5VO1F8
- Amanda Palmer - http://amandapalmer.net/
- The Art of Asking - http://www.ted.com/talks/amanda_palmer_the_art_of_asking
- Tim Ferris - Amanda Palmer - http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/03/30/amanda-palmer/
- Tip Of The Hat - http://tipofthehat.bandcamp.com